Don’t get short changed when you climb Mt Batur, we’ll give you the full tour which means a whole lot more volcano and a whole lot more awesome.
Some tours will make you climb all the way up to the summit of the volcano, only to make you turn around and walk back down. Like the summit and a view of the sunrise is all that matters. Not to us. We’ll take you around the rim of the crater and show you plenty more awesome along the way including the site of the most recent eruption, some great views of the lake and surrounding villages, and the hidden ‘holy bat cave’. You’ll spend an hour or two longer up there, but you’ll be glad you did and you’ll see more than 99% of people who climb it. This way, regardless of whether or not you get an awesome sunrise, you’ll still have an awesome time. Besides, what’s the point of putting all that effort in if you only see a bit of whats up there?
(If you’re pushed for time and want to do a shorter tour that can also be arranged.)
Adventure Level: Medium to high.
There is no actual climbing involved but the hike up requires a reasonable level of fitness. Once you’re up there, you can take a bit of a rest. There’s some tricky trails with loose rocks and volcanic sand and one short section that might challenge people who are afraid of heights.
- Private transport to and from Mt Batur
- Awesome, English speaking guide.
- Entry to Mt Batur
- Mt Batur Guide Fee
- Drinking water
- Breakfast and one drink (coffee, tea, water or soft drink) at the volcano summit. (Breakfast is simple ‘volcano food’ – hard boiled eggs cooked in the hot volcanic soil and banana sandwiches. If you’re vegan or have other food requirements please let us know in advance and we’ll do our best to make sure you have something suitable to eat.)
- An optional visit to the local hot springs afterwards is available. Entry fee is an additional 150,000-200,000Rp (depending on which one you visit) and includes a drink on arrival and a towel. You will also have the use of a change room, shower, and secure locker for your clothes/belongings.
- Lunch not included but can be arranged.
- Tips not included. Tips are not mandatory but are customary. If you are happy with your tour a minimum $5 tip per person to your guide is suggested. More if you think they’ve been awesome.
1:30am/2:00am – We’ll pick you up. Yeah, we know it’s early but the early bird gets the sunrise. Besides, you can always grab a bit more sleep in the car on the way there.
4:00am – Start the hike to the summit.
6:00am – Keep our fingers crossed for an awesome sunrise and have some breakfast.
6:30am – Begin our hike around the crater to explore the volcano.
10:00am – Arrive back at the base of the volcano.
10:30am – Optional extra visit to the hot springs to soak and relax.
??:00 – It’s about a 3-4 hour drive back to Kuta/Ubud/Nusa Dua/Sanur depending on traffic. So without the hot springs, we’ll have you back around 3pm, otherwise a bit later.
- Good walking shoes.
- Extra snacks if you want them.
- Your camera.
- Something warm to wear at the summit.
- A bag or backpack to carry your water and extra clothes.
- Your own flashlight or headlamp if you prefer otherwise we can supply a basic one for you.
- A cap or hat.
- Sunscreen. (We go up in the dark, but come down in the sun!)
- Bathers for the optional hot springs afterwards.
Sputnik is an Australian, but please don’t hold that against him. He’s an outdoor guy who writes for outdoor magazines, blogs for outdoor sites, hosts adventure tours, and has run multiple trail runs and trail ultra marathons. He’s been coming to Bali for a few decades now and in recent times created what he refers to as the ‘Bali AdventureTrail’ – a series of the Best Bali Adventures so that people without much time or aren’t sure what to do, can use that as a starting point for their Bali Adventure. Even if you don’t end up using our company, you can at least get some tips on where to go and what to do. Just don’t be expecting any tips on where to go drinking fancy cocktails, eat expensive food, or stay in designer hotels of villas. Sputnik is strictly an outdoor guy, who doesn’t drink, is happy with street food, and will sleep just about anywhere – with air conditioning.
Widi is Balinese and has been working as a guide in Bali for many years now, and before that he worked on cruise ships internationally. As a result, he’s especially awesome as he speaks awesome English, an awesome knowledge of Bali, and knows how to deliver an awesome tour. What he doesn’t know about Bali probably isn’t worth knowing. He also happens to be pretty hilarious. He’ll likely start the tour as your guide, but finish as your friend. Widi lives near Denpasar with his wife and three kids, and all profits from these tours go directly to his family. His parents and extended family live up north near Singaraja and on certain tours, he’ll take you for a visit and a home cooked meal which will almost certainly be the highlight of your time in Bali. (His mom is an awesome cook!)
From relatively mild, to high adventure, there’s something here to suit pretty much everyone. And if you can’t find what you’re looking for, let us know and we’ll see what we can come up with.
We keep our tours small and personal. No massive groups, no crowded buses, just an awesome experience from start to finish.
From lakes and rivers to waterfalls, volcanoes, temples, jungle, rice fields, beaches and coral reefs, come explore some of Bali’s most awesome places with us.
We don’t support animal tourism, but we do offer some awesome snorkeling tours where you’ll see some spectacular sea life in all its natural glory.
Still not sure which company to go with? We don’t blame you, there’s so many to choose from, we know it can be pretty confusing, so if you have any questions or just want to say hi, please feel free to contact us any time.
NOTE: Our tours are guaranteed female-friendly.
USD$85 (Per person, minimum two people)
Does not include:
- Extra drinks.
- Additional activities including entry to hot springs if you’d like to visit afterwards.
- Tips – which are not mandatory, but appreciated if you think your guide has done an awesome job.